Hello Nancy,
Hopefully there is a DDS out there in PD land or a spouse of one that belongs
to the List that can give you their professional advice. If not here's my
experiences having had 5 or 6 root canals.  Since the object of a root canal
is to deaden the tooth nerve at the tip end of the root, the tooth should not
have any feeling left in it.  Your dentist should be able to remove the temp
filling and put in the permanent filling without the use of any Novocain.
The part I had trouble with was being told to open up wider even when my jaw
was already out of joint.

Good luck, I hope your dentist is as good and well trained as mine is.

Denny
52/59