Dr. Fink,
I am sorry that you are removing yourself from the list.  I have said it
before: you are one of the few rational voices on this list.  And you are a
doctor and you bring that expertise to the list.  A needed expertise.  The
past few weeks have been particularly dismal on the list,and with
namecalling, and at you.  I don't know who these people are on the list, but
some of them seem more than ready to say something that hurts others and then
to say, without any apology, that it was the PD talking and that we all ought
to tolerate it.  And, while demanding that we tolerate/respect them, those
same people show that they do not tolerate or respect differences in others
or differences of opinion in others.   And, then they announce that they will
leave the list (YES!), but they will never leave the list because they have
nowhere to go.

I have not been participating in the list as the quality of the interactions
has gone lower and lower.  I did think it interesting that these people, who
I would label as "intolerant,"  quickly resorted to namecalling when anyone
said anything that they did not like.   I thought that it was very clear that
these people cannot run the list and they cannot maintain any quality of
interaction on the list.   That lull period near to and during the holidays
gave the "intolerants" a forum.   They were fighting among themselves, and
namecalling, on Christmas Day!

Things have to change or the list will evaporate.  Finally, Barbara Patterson
is going to do something.  I don't know what she is going to do, and I do not
know what the impact on the list will be.  I suspect that we, the people on
the list, will have to make the needed changes.  I hope that the list will
have the quality of interaction that it had a few months ago, and then I hope
everyone strives for better and better quality.

If this list is to be rehabilitated, quality people like yourself need to
participate on the list.   If you remove yourself, there will be a big hole,
and I don't see where anyone else can replace you.  I would ask that you wait
and see for a while.  See if there are any changes for the better.  I think
that the namecalling and the disrespect toward you are coming from a very
small number of individuals; and it seems to me to be very inappropriate.
And, I am sure many others think that it is inappropriate as well.   FYI,
there is a very specific way to remove yourself from the list; I think it
involves a blank e-mail and a one-word command.  They are very picky as to
how you get on and then get off this list. Happy New Year?  Katie