David:  My shiver reflex is much like I mentioned with my teeth ''chattering".  My jaws 'lock up' and my teeth still try to chatter.  Likewise my joints stiffen and my body still tries to shiver.  You are right in that there is  some definition of pain that goes along with this 'broken thermostat syndrome'.

Lanny Weddel

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">David Meigs
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2001 2:40 AM
Subject: Re: No tolerance for cold. - can't shiver right!

So many of you have responded to my post.... - THANK YOU!

I had a feeling I was not alone.  One point most of you have not mentioned is does your bodies have the normal
"chiver reflex"?  My body tries....... but can't.

It's not uncomfortable...... it's painful ..... but not really pain in the "hit your thumb with a hammer"
sense of the word.  I freeze.... and it seems like it is impossible to think beyond "I must get warm".
Another member wrote me off list so I wont mention his name except that he described it to the "T" the way I
feel.  He really didn't mention whether he still had the "chiver reflex", or made the "weird noises" I make
sometimes that I have no control over.

Why don't we all chip in and but a small "almost" tropical island somewhere.  Personally I don't think I'd
ever miss the cold again.

David Meigs  [log in to unmask]

New & Improved! Meigs Family Website
Find out who the kids get their pointy heads from
HTML Games, PD & Autism info & PINK FLAMINGOS
http://home.earthlink.net/~davidmeigs/index.html