Nancy,
  Thanks for your response about the HUD initiative. I have a few
additional comments and questions for the group.

You wrote -
>In Ohio , progressively neurology ill people are not allowed in brain
>injury programs because they feel that the brain injury patients get
>improvements, whereas the progressive neuro patient doesn't. I don't
>agree with that logic, but that is what is stated here many times.
>Thus the young neuor patient is often put with the Alzheimer's patient.

Is this the way it is in other states as well? No matter what the long
term prognosis is it seems the goal should be to assist people to remain
in independent living
arrangements for as long as possible. BTW I sent this info. from the
Brain Injury Association site, because they have such valuable and up to
date info. on public policy issues on health care  -- but the HUD
initiative applies to all disabilities.

> Why should the govt. have to build new houses??
>Why should Ivan have to live in community housing when he already has a
home??...

I think the new housing was just one part of the program. The other
provisions were to supply the needed services so people can stay in their
homes. I understood the term "community housing" to mean living
independently in the community in general -- notjust in gov't funded
housing for the disabled, although that might be one type of arrangement
for some people.

>Why didn't they get the help they need in their own living quarters
>to begin with?? ...However,  this is an excellent start as to getting
people to >realize that some ill people can be in the community longer
than what one may
>think.

I agree. This initiative advocates moving disabled  people out of nursing
homes, and providing the services they need to live independently. So how
can the gov't justify putting others in similar situations into nursing
homes in the first place? I think HUD and HHS and the states need to work
toegther on this. Although this initiative focuses on people currently in
nursing homes - I wonder if we should still send our comments as they
relate to others in ineed of support services to remain in their homes?
Comments were requested by Feb 19th:

The complete notice can be downloaded from the National Home of Your Own
Alliance website at: http://alliance.unh.edu. There is a comment period
of 60 calendar days from the December 19 the date of publication.
Comments may be sent by mail only to:

The Access Housing 2000 Proposed Initiative
Docket Number: FR-4641-N-01
The Regulations Division
Office of General Counsel, Room 10276
Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 Seventh Street, SW, Washington DC, 20410

Linda Herman