Linda and Nancy....and any others.....

Before writing my letters re: indep housing/HUD.. I have a couple of
questions......

1.  Does indep housing mean "round the clock care" if necessary?
      what is that cost?
      how many people need round the clock care to remain in indep housing?
(most of us do not require 24 hour attention but rather help at
intervals....the advantage to group living situations....whether that be
family/shared care/nursing facility, group home etc......is that some of the
cost/help is shared but there when you need it.

2.  How is need for help to be determined.......and how will the salaries be
determined?   What is the labor market available?     I believe it was Nancy
who mentioned $12-18 salaries for HHA......I have checked around locally and
that is the fee paid for HHA....but the agency retains about 1/2 of that
fee......subtract benefits etc......and the net salary is relatively low.
Most of us with PD do not require nursing care around the clock....we are
generally not on respirators, tube feeding, needing injections or blood
draws.

I would really like to have an idea of the price tag on options before I
endorse plans.  Afterall....we talk about projects at home and get an
estimate before we move ahead.
Although I realize we would all like to stay in our own home....by the time
we ask someone else to pay property taxes, utilities, in home care, food
supplements/ medical expenses etc...I think  we need to have informed choices.

I would also like to remain at home as long as possible, but I have been in
the position to evaluate and pay for the
need/cost/labor/responsibility/consequence of at home care vs care facility
with my mother also a neighbor with neuro injury....this is far from a black
and white situation.

I am not debating the issue that people want to stay in their homes.....I am
asking for $ comparisons.

We pay $129/day for my mother (widowed) in a nursing home. We have eliminated
 her property taxes, utility bills, food budget, upkeep on residence, yard
expenses, auto expense, home/auto insurance, transportation costs, laundry
expense.  For that price we also have round the clock care for her....she is
dressed daily, has nutritious food, is warm, clean, safe.  Her hair
washed/set twice weekly (included in her fee)....we pay for perms every 3
months or so....and her laundry is done.  She does not have to go out for
physical therapy, OT and routine MD visits.  She has transportation to the
hospital/clinic/MD office if needed.  She attends church services, concerts,
community meetings....social events.  She could go on shopping excursions,
out to lunch, to visit in family homes etc....if she were physically able to
do so.

We held a YOPD dinner/event in our home on Sat pm and a nursing home resident
did attend......she is not confined to the n.home 24 hours/day.

Rita Weeks  56/11