INTRODUCTION to Current Science Reviews INDEX (rev. January 2001)

I have posted a "CURRENT SCIENCE REVIEWS" message every month for
about 6 years. A separate cumulative INDEX to the CSRs is revised each
month, too big (now about 29 pages) for regular posting, but available
on individual request. The object at first was merely a private file
where I could retrieve passing items which otherwise would be lost in
the passing torrent of published information about PD, but it turned
out to interest others, hence this intro:

For newcomers to the PIE, I need to tell you what the CSR is,
and what it's not: As a new PD patient I wanted to learn all I
could about the disease, especially the progress of research
that might lead to improved treatment. I joined a local support
group, who wanted a science input for their newsletter. While
not a medical professional, I had access to a small medical
library, where I could regularly scan a few of the more relevant
journals, and translate their scientific jargon into English.
 So I started the monthly CSR, with these rules in mind:
-Stick generally to peer-reviewed articles, for authenticity.
-Avoid judgement, selection, or analysis, just list what turns up.
-Respect copyright restrictions. I don't retain an article unless
 it is likely to have some historical significance.

CSR items describe current work which may or may NOT prove to be
important. Each one is just a piece of the big PD jigsaw puzzle;
What's more, I scan only those few relevant journals available in
the small medical library that I patronize, so the CSR is NOT a
good source for basic or comprehensive info about PD. It is NOT a
good reference for archival material; there are big sophisticated
services, such as Medline, which do that. What the CSR does do is
provide an inkling of where we are, what lies ahead. I started it
for my own use, but of course I'm glad to share it with others of
like inclination. Likewise, the CSR INDEX is not encyclopedic, but
merely a clue to locate any particular item. You can look it up in
the CSR of the date given, to see if you want to order the source
article from your local library. Or, you can go direct to the
source as cited. Despite its very limited scope, I have kept on
with the CSRs because it's so handy. Looking at the world through
a PC screen is like looking through a keyhole- no matter how fast,
you see only one thing at a time. On paper, it's more like a
dictionary, where you can compare several things at once. For
example, in the recent thread about olanzapine, I found my 5
entries in less time than my PC takes to warm up.

I can fill e-mail requests for individual reviews, as cited in
the cumulative subject Index, but remember that these are only
reference citations. To see an actual article or abstract, you
must use either Medline or a medical library that subscribes to
the journal in question. The cited articles are from professional
journals usually kept on file in medical libraries. The journal
names are abbreviated, so that each citation will fit on one
line, but the librarian should be able to decipher. University
libraries generally are open, short of borrowing privilege, to
the public. If you need only an abstract, many are available
from the U.S. government PubMed website at
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.
To decide quickly whether to go that far, you can look up my
very brief review in the Current Science Reviews for the month
indicated (back to 1995), which are in the archives of this forum
as well as in my own files.

Cheers,
Joe
--