  From: Ida & Andre Kamphuis
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, January 08, 2001 7:07 AM
  Subject: Re: Speech Problems linked to Medication ?

  At 11:49 8-1-01 -0000, you wrote:

    The problem seems to be linked to my Meds, when I am at peak medication my speech is at its worst, when I am at minimum medication my speech is almost back to normal. The situation seemed to get worse after I started taking Amitriptyline to help me sleep. I would like to ask the following questions. 1/ Has anyone experienced similar problems, if so do you have any advice or tips on how to improve the situation ? 2/ Several mails lately have mentioned Remeron as an aid to sleeping, has this had any adverse effects on speech ? Regards, Nigel ,46 , Present Meds :: Madopar Dispersible, Cabaser, Selegeline, Amantadine, Amitriptyline.

  Nigal,

  I had a pallidotomy 3 years and 3 months ago. After that surgery, which was in other respects a great succes, I got problems with speaking, which I never had before. My voice lost volume and I have problems with articulation, to the point people can't understand me. But this problems are, like yours, dependent on my dopamine level. And just like yours, my speech is nearly normal when dopamine is low and is very bad when dopamine has such a level, that other motor problems are absent. Drinking alcohol worsens this problem. I never used medication for sleeping.
  Another side effect of dopamine for me is that I can't feel relaxed and always feel more or less hunted, when it is doing its job.

  Ida, 56, diagnosed 16 years ago.

  Kind regards / Vriendelijke groeten

  Ida Kamphuis