At 21:06 2001/01/19 -0800, Rosemary & Rollin Dexter wrote:
>At 08:45 AM 1/19/01 EST, you wrote:
>>Do any of you have experience with Olanzapine (Zyprexa)?  Would you please
>>share it with me?  Thank you.
>                                                                  M.Dawn
>The Parkinson's Disease UPDATE has an article on Olanzapine in its current
>issue #117 which states that Olanzapine is not beneficial in Parkinson's
>Disease because in a double blind test with clozapine and olanzapine
>"...Clozapine improved mental symptoms without causing motor symptoms to
>worsen (in fact clozapine caused a small improvement in motor symptoms).
>By contrast, olanzapine caused minimal improvement of side effects, and a
>clear worsening of motor symptoms.  The authors conclude that olanzapine
>should not be used to treat the mental side effects of levodopa therapy in
>patients withn Parkinson"s disease."
>Rosemary Dexter cg for Dex 76/9

hi all

a search through joe bruman's current science reviews at:
http://www.geocities.com/joebruman/

(or, indeed at PubMed, the Source)
reveals some interesting facts about studies done on olanzapine
over the past few years

made me wonder why it would ever have been prescribed for parkies

maybe the manufacturer has a strong marketing arm?

janet

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype parkie
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 SMAIL: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/