Dear Robert,
These problems are too difficult for you to deal with by yourself. A
person who is coughing and choking on saliva and fears drinking needs to
see a speech-language pathologist for a swallowing evaluation. The SLP
will help with safe swallowing techniques.

The constipation could be due to insufficient fiber and fluid daily,
leading to a hard, dry stool that's difficult to pass. When swallowing
has been evaluated, the individual needs to see a registered dietitian
who can assess current food and liquid intake and determine whether
there is enough fiber and fluid present to prevent constipation. The RD
may advise prunes or prune juice occasionally as well.

I suggest you ask this person's physician for a referral to a
speech-language pathologist and a registered dietitian as soon as
possible to avoid any risk for further complications.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Constipation and Parkinson's" --  audiocassette & guidebook
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's
disease" & Risk Assessment Tools
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson's
disease," J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/