Topic: jim cordy on pd radio show this sunday (2001/01/21)
From: janet313313
Date: January 20, 2001 08:30 AM
cross-posted

To:   [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
From: janet paterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 08:26:59 -0500
Subj: jim cordy on pd radio show this sunday (2001/01/21)

hi all

jim cordy,
co-founder of the parkinson alliance,
will be the guest host on this sunday's (2001/01/21)
simultaneous radio- and wwweb-cast of 'travels with parkinson's,'
(just the only wwweb broadcast parkinson's disease
awareness radio talk show on the planet!)

'travels with parkinson's' (twp)
is the 'voice of parkinson's" around the world (vop)
and is the brainchild of host and person with parkinson's (pwp)
leonard 'chy' casavant,
that pd wwweb- and radio-broadcaster and techno edge cutter,
whose cyber home on the wwweb is at:
http://www.travelswithparkinsons.org/

tune in your wwweb browser
(using audiostreaming software: install this first!)
at 9:00pm EST
or
tune in your radio to WALE 990 AM in Providence RI
and call in toll-free 866-277-5369
or
catch the show later on MP3 files from chy's archyves
as so generously provided by john lester, mgh webforum webspinner:
http://dem0nmac.mgh.harvard.edu/

following is the nitty gritty on jim cordy
courtesy of the parkinson alliance website:
http://www.parkinsonalliance.net/html/j_cordy.html

janet

James T. Cordy
Advisory Board Member

Jim Cordy is a 52 year-old former metallurgist for Allegheny Ludlum. The
good news about Jim is that his Parkinson’s is progressing rather slowly,
the bad news is he was diagnosed at age 40, so he has a lot of years to go.
Jim had to go on disability in 1996.

While no longer officially employed, he does what he can to help wage the
battle against Parkinson’s disease. Translate that information: given his
limitations, Jim works harder and longer hours than ever before.

He said, "While you will never hear me say that I’m glad I have
Parkinson’s, the people I’ve met and the experiences I’ve had while working
in this arena are the most cherished and rewarding in my life."

Jim is an advocate for increased funding for Parkinson’s research. He
believes we are on the threshold of a cure or new effective treatment for
Parkinson’s disease and that an infusion of funds such as provided by the
Udall Bill might cut years off the goal.

Jim admits that he’s impatient with people who say, "Wait until next year."
His reply is often, "I have Parkinson’s, for me the clock is ticking."

Jim and his wife have made trips to Washington, D.C. during the past few
years working on the Udall Bill. They have made or been part of the initial
contact with over 100 Congressmen and/or Senators.

He has also had the privilege of testifying before both the House and
Senate Health and Human Services subcommittees. His last testimony to the
Senate was as part of a distinguished panel including Dr. Gerald Fischbach
and Michael J. Fox.

Jim often tells people that he does three things: Parkinson’s, ponds and PCs.

Besides his Parkinson’s involvement, he has a Japanese garden with four
ponds, three waterfalls, two big Koi, several dozen goldfish, a frog and
four turtles.

People with Parkinson’s often have sleep problems. Jim finds the Internet
an interesting way to spend those wee hours when he can’t sleep.

Jim was honored to receive the Lou Fishman Award from the Parkinson’s
Action Network in 1996 for his work in advocacy.

In 1997, he was honored to win the Sidney Dorros Award for his work in the
community in Parkinson’s awareness.

He does volunteer work with the principal Parkinson’s researcher at the
University of Pittsburgh.

Jim is President and founder of the local chapter of the National
Parkinson’s Foundation and a member of the Board of Directors of NPF
headquartered in Miami, Florida.

He is a founding member of the Parkinson Alliance. This is a group of
leading advocates – the only national volunteer group composed of people
with Parkinson’s disease or those directly affected by it.

From: Chy7
Date: January 21, 2001 10:07 AM
Thanks Janet, what a wonderful background on Jim Cordy. I
will expect one each week now lol. I will print that out
for tonights show. Oh call in # is 1-401-621-9253......
Need to update homepage. Thanks a gain
beep....beep......beep beeep lol

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype parkie
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 SMAIL: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/