I want to thank everyone who wrote a response to my earlier posting about my
upcoming SS hearing, and also to those who wrote directly to me.  Here's the
rest of my background: I am a former vocal music teacher.  In order to do my
"job", I have to be able to: manage a room full of 20-27 young children
(ages 6 to 13); teach 10 to 12 groups of these kids every day (M-F); play
the piano (and/or guitar and/or manage a CD player); sing with and for the
kids (it IS vocal music); write on a chalkboard; speak all day long; etc.
etc.....I can no longer do these things when I am  "off", and even on a
"good day", I can't do these things for an extended  period of time--after
about 2 or 3 of the 12 classes my voice was shot. My last semester of
teaching, the superintendent and I agreed that I should cut my work load, so
I utilized my sick days and personal leave days and only "worked" on tues,
wed and thurs (i say "worked" cuz there was  practically no teaching or
learning going on--I showed lots of videos and had them do worksheets--I
could no longer manage an active class).  During that semester I was only
working three days a week, I spent the other two days doing research to try
to find a job that I COULD manage...I looked into doing proofreading for
publishers, contributing to educational periodicals, teaching online from my
home computer, and  many other home based occupations, and drew a blank.  I
WAS able to get my Kansas teacher's retirement system disability pay, and I
AM grateful that I have that income each month...I just hope that the Soc
Sec folks come through for me this time around.......

Randall Ford
Kansas