From: Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2001 2:10 PM
Subject: Programs That Offer Financial Assistance to Seniors

Hi All,
Does anybody in Illinois know 'bout this?

New year brings welcome changes
There have been some changes in two programs that offer financial
assistance to seniors - the Circuit Breaker/Pharmaceutical
Assistance
Program and the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program.
   Perhaps the biggest change occurs in the Circuit
Breaker/Pharmaceutical program. In addition to providing a small
rebate
on rent or real estate taxes, the program provides a
pharmaceutical card
that allows seniors to purchase prescriptions for a $3 co-payment
per
prescription. The drugs covered by the program are limited to
those for
specific illnesses - heart conditions, high blood pressure,
diabetes,
arthritis, Parkinson's disease, glaucoma, Alzheimer's disease,
lung
disease and cancer.
   This is a financial eligibility program. A one-person
household
cannot have an income that exceeds $21,218, and a two-person
household cannot have an income that exceeds $28,480. There is a
benefit cap of $2,000 per state fiscal year (July 1 to June 30),
but after
that cap is reached, participants will be required to pay 20
percent of the
cost of the prescription - still a big help and a big difference
between
what you would pay and the market price.
   The improved Circuit Breaker/Pharmaceutical program became
effective Jan. 1, and I have just received a supply of the forms.
I will be
glad to make the forms available, but please call me before
coming in. If
you nee
d assistance in filling out the form, I will be glad to help you.
I am in the office from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays
and Wednesdays.

 If you have noticed an increase in your gas bill, help is on the
way with the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program. Income
qualifications have increased because of the escalating energy
prices. A one-person househol
d's maximum income is $1,044 per month, and atwo-person
household's maximum is $1,406. The program provides relief for
gas and electricity bills. People older than 65 may call me for
an appointment to apply for this progr
am.

 Each year several DuPage County organizations come together to
prepare an excellent opportunity for us to address important
senior issues. The 15th Annual DuPage County Legislative Forum
for Seniors and Caregivers will t
ake place from 9 to 11 a.m. Feb. 2. The topic this year is
"Family Caregivers," addressed by keynote speaker Denise Brown
from the Center for Family Caregivers.
   This forum will emphasize to our representatives the need for
caregiver support services. Take advantage of the opportunity to
ask questions and be heard by your state legislator. Come to the
Older Adult Institute in
 Building K on the campus of the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn.
The forum is sponsored by the DuPage Senior Citizens Council,
DuPage County Senior Services, the DuPage County Health
Department, Metropolitan Family Servi
ces, the Northeastern Illinois Area Agency on Aging, the Older
Women's League and the Tri-Town YMCA. There is no charge for the
program, and reservations are not required. Call Linda at (630)
293-5990 for more information
.

 MetLife is again sponsoring its Heartline Valentine's Day Party
for
senior citizens. In addition to refreshments and entertainment,
Heartline
2001 will provide a free long-distance phone call to anywhere in
the
country. The event will take place from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 10
at
MetLife's Aurora head office, at 177 S. Commons Drive in Aurora.
The
drive is off Route 34 just south of Fox Valley Center. There is
no charge
to participate, and reservations are not required. Call (630)
978-6033 for
more information.

   Questions for Ginnie Boyle? Write to her at Naperville
Township
Senior Services, 139 Water St., Naperville, IL 60540; or call her
at (630)
357-8058. She is in the office from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Mondays,
Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
01/24/01

http://www.copleynewspapers.com/sunpub/naper/city/boyle0124.htm