Date sent:              Wed, 31 Jan 2001 05:04:46 EST
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Sid Levin <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Acupuncture for PD? Maybe TENS?
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Acupuncture does help some types of pain by blocking afferent
> nerves, but it doesn't help PD. My latest hunch is that TENS
> (Transcutaneous Electronic Nerve Stimulator) might prove to have some
> value. It's the same principle that DBS works only its not implanted.
> Interes

That is not the current concept of the way that acupuncture works (at
least in Western scientific thought).  It is felt that acupuncture works
by causing the release of endorphins in the brain (the acupuncture
stimulates the brain), and that this is the mechanism for the pain relief
which is documented with acupuncture.  This has been supported by
the fact that, in a patient who achieves pain relief with acupuncture,
you can block this relief with the administration of Naloxone, an opiate
and endorphin "blocker".

Thus, the use of a TENS unit is felt to work via the same system; and,
as such, it (theoretically) would not work in PD.  I would be interested
in good studies, however.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D.
2500 Milvia Street   Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636  USA
510-849-2555
PLEASE NOTE:  Because of the takeover of IBMNET by
AT&T, my new e-mail address, effective immediately,
is:

The old <ibm.net> address will no longer
function after March 1, 2001.  PLEASE CHANGE
YOUR ADDRESS BOOKS.