On 30 Jan 2001, at 0:48, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Murray,
> I'm an old cynic. Where is the money he is raising - going?
> Has anyone received any grants?
> Have they published their budget?
> I'm not accusing, I'd just like answers. Anyone?
> Sid Levin

Hi Sid,
Where is the money going?  Well, the "infrastructure" (start-up,
foundation, office(s), staff, website, advocacy papers, appearing before
the senate commission on all of our behalf's, associated travel,
advertising, etc.) musta cost something.  Look at
http://www.michaeljfox.com  for info...

Has anyone received any grants?
Well Sid, I do know the website has had a page for grant applications...
http://www.michaeljfox.com/flash/news04.html

Here is the "text" ...    (sounds pretty encouraging)

GRANT PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT
December 15, 2000
The Michael J. Fox  Foundation for Parkinson's Research is pleased to
announce the establishment of its first grant program for Parkinson's
disease research. Effective immediately, the Foundation is soliciting
investigator-initiated grant applications for a first round of funding.
These grants will be "fast-tracked" to allow for the Foundation to begin
pursing its mission immediately.

The guidelines for proposals are as follows:
Grants should involve research that could reasonable be expected shed
light on the cause of Parkinson's disease, and/or lead to the
development of a cure for the disorder or better treatments.
Grant applications should be no more than five pages in length.
While there is no strict requirement as to format, following the general
outline of an NIH proposal is recommended.
Grants should be accompanied by a one-page budget
NIH style biographical sketches for key investigators should be
attached.
Proposals must be received by February 1st, 2001 (there will be no
exceptions to this deadline). They should be submitted to the following
address:
The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research
Grand Central Station
P.O. Box 4777
New York, NY 10163-4777
Individual proposals should not exceed a total of $100,000 (proposals
may be over one to three years).
The Foundation will cover up to 25% in indirect costs

It is the goal of the Michael J. Fox Foundation to review these grants in
an expedited manner with an anticipated announcement date of awards
in late February or early March 2001. It is anticipated that up to 10
proposals will be fund as a result of this effort.
All questions regarding this new program should be submitted by e-mail
to the following address:
The Foundation is proud and excited to announce this new program,
which we anticipate will be first of many new funding initiatives. We
wish to thank all investigators who decide to submit applications for this
"fast track" first round of funding.

There is the answer Sid... First grant applications close in less than 48
hours!

I think your donation is being very well looked after Sid.

Best regards ........... murray