Bob,

I tried acupuncture once, with limited success.  My primary PD symptoms are
bradykinesia and a shuffling gait (I do have some tremors, though), and
acupuncture provided significant relief temporarily.  I've since read that
acupuncture is best for temporary pains and disabilities (such as recovering
from surgery).

If my acupuncturist were here, she would argue that I didn't stick with the
program (true).  They expect you to take herbs in the form of pills that look
like black BBs (6-8 of them three times a day -- a lot to keep up with in
addition to my PD drug regimen).  I could not notice what good the herbs did.
 My acupuncturist also showed me pressure points on my ears where I could
press a couple of tiny beads for a minute and get some energy going to my
legs.  That actually worked a few times.

The more of a meditative state you are in when they put in the pins
(virtually painless, especially if your attitude is right) or when you press
the beads to your ears, the better results you will get.  The first time I
went in, I had set a lot of time aside for it (despite the fact that I was
still working), and the results were almost miraculous.  I'll never forget
the looks on my coworkers' faces when I came striding back into the office
with a spring to my step for the first time in years.  The second time, I
dashed in between meetings, and the results were not nearly as good.  I had a
total of six sessions before the acupuncturist said I was ready to go on my
own with the herbs and the tricks with my ears.  Still, I would probably need
to come back for the pin treatment about two to four times a year (I never
did).

Like I do with diets, I saw good initial results with acupuncture, but I did
not make it a part of my life.  Perhaps if I did, I would not be shuffling
about as awkwardly as I do now.  If you can afford it (I don't think many
health insurance policies cover it), it would be worth a try.

Rees Jenkins