You may have heard this morning about the "AnnaKournikova" "virus."  It
appeared on the STLHE-L list, which I also operate, last night, so, as a
precaution, I've just added a couple of parameters to the CASLL list which
should prevent "attachments" from being distributed to the list at all.
One limits the size of messages to 150 lines; the other blocks
attachments.  This shouldn't cause most people any problems whatever, except
in cases where your email program is sending attachments along with your
messages without your knowledge.  If that's happening, you may find postings
to CASLL being returned, and you'll need to find a way to configure your
mail program to get rid of this (detestable) practice.

A word about the "virus": technically, it's not a virus at all, but a worm,
which means that it simply replicates itself without damaging the host.  If
you're running Micro$oft Outlook, it will _embarrass_ you, however, because
it will send itself to everybody in your address book.  People running other
(better) programs can really pretty much ignore it.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion of reading and
writing and learning . . .

                                      -- Russ