Nan Johnson
Dept. of English
Ohio State University
164 W. 17th Ave
Columbus, Ohio 43214
614-292-5774

Proposal for Inkshed 18

Teaching Rhetorical Awareness of Audience

In this presentation-workshop, I will share how I have developed
materials and strategies for teaching students to become rhetorically
sensitive to audience,  as a component of the rhetorical situation in
general,  but also as the  "listeners" to student writing. I will
explore with Inshedders their sense of whether or not a general
awareness of the strategic appeal of form and style to audiences
"translates" into a higher consciousness in students about how their
own writing can better succeed with a close reading exercise and a
small group discussion of sample texts. These texts will represent
the kind of pedagogical materials I use for the "audience" unit in
writing classes.

I expect that I would need 45 minutes for this.