Hello Inkshedders:

We have extended the deadline for proposals for Inkshed 18 until Feb.
15, 2001. So if you have been thinking of sending something in but just
never got around to it, now is your chance.

And just in case you might be wondering if there is really good reason
to come this year, we are pleased to announce that Peter Elbow has
agreed to attend the conference as our keynote speaker (and as a full
participant in the conference).  So pack your bags and plan to attend!

The call for papers is below, in case you misplaced it.

Looking forward to seeing many of you in Canmore.

Barbara

CALL FOR PAPERS

CASLL Conference:  Inkshed 18

May 12 - 15, 2001
Canmore, Alberta

Reading Contexts

Inkshed 18 will be held in Canmore, Alberta, a scenic resort town in the

foothills of the Rockies.  The organizing committee invites proposals on

the topic of "Reading Contexts," a theme encompassing both how texts are

read and how writers "read" the varied audiences and contexts for which
they write.  Reading contexts may include the classroom, the workplace,
and the media.

Participants might consider such questions as

     how students read (or learn to read) academic texts and
assignments;
     how we can help students "read" the contexts in which their writing
will be taken up by audiences real and imagined;
     how we create contexts for reading in our classrooms;
     how we read student papers and how they "read" our responses to
their writing;
     how professional writers “read” contexts and how their documents
are read;
     how genre affects reading and writers' reading of context.

Proposals may be individual or collaborative and may include
presentations, workshops, panels or performances (limited to about 20
minutes per participant).

Please submit your proposals by February 15, 2001, to the Inkshed 18
Conference Committee:

     mail:  Social Sciences 301, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB  T2N
1N4
     email:  [log in to unmask]
     fax:  (403) 282-6716

Conference Committee: Jo-Anne Andre, Doug Brent, Geoff Cragg, & Barbara
Schneider

Accommodation will be available at the Chateau Canmore.  Conference
Rates (including accommodation, meals*, taxes, and gratuities) are as
follows:

     $146.00 per person, per night, based on single occupancy.
     $107.00 per person, per night, based on double occupancy.
     $ 91.00 per person, per night, based on triple occupancy.
     $ 81.00 per person, per night, based on quad occupancy.

(Spouses and children under 18 may stay free.)
These rates are for the deluxe suites, which include two double beds and

a sofa bed plus a number of amenities.

*Meals include 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches and evening meals on Saturday,
May 12 and Monday, May 14.

Please book your room before April 1 directly with Chateau Canmore
 Phone: (403) 678-6699
 Fax: (403) 678-6954
 www.chateaucanmore.com

--