hi all

At 23:21 2001/02/01 -0500, Camilla Flintermann wrote:
>Hi-- today I have received ---and NOT opened---some 4 or 5 emails
>fom "Don & Karen" (unknown to me) with attachments  ending in "exe1"
>"exe2"  and subject heading of  "A Great Shockwave Movie". I have
>also had several posts in a strange foreign script, also deleted
>unopened, probably spam. Have others rec'd these I wonder?
>I never open an attachment like this....

yes, i received some "Don & Karen" spam mail
amid a constant flurry of others spam scams

i never open attachments, period,
unless it's from someone i know well and
it's something i am expecting

as far as i am concerned any e-mail software
which "automatically" opens files "attached" to e-mail messages
(viz microsoft's Outlook Express)
should allow the user to reverse this option easily and permanently
(why isn't it the 'default' setting?)

otherwise,
users of such software are sitting ducks for the virus-writers
who take great glee in 'messin with microsoft'

in my humble opinion microsoft's first obligation
is to protecting their customers
not doing battle with their detractors

e-mail was designed 30 years ago for text transmission only
and that's where its miracle as a medium still lies

microsoft's misguided attempts to "WWWebbify" e-mail
strike me as irresponsible at best

it it works, don't fix it
if it don't work, fix it

janette
nerdette

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype parkie
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 SMAIL: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/