Friends-- I'm cross-posting in case this is of interest to PWPs as well as CGs.
You may recall that Peter sustained a compression fracture of a vertebra in
early January.  He was in a LOT of pain when moving, changing position,
rising, etc. and was on a non-opiate regimen of Acetaminophen and
Ibuprofen.   Last Monday we visited his internist, who gave him samples of
VIOXX to try--a prescription NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflamatory drug)
to try, saying it was stronger than what he has been using. It is designed
for people with osteoarthritis.

I can report that it has been VERY helpful to Peter.  The benefit from a
once-a-day dose (in his case, 2 of the 25mg tablets) lasts about 6 hours,
rather than the 4 hours of the over the counter meds.  No side effect
problems.  I wonder if others have used it?  It seems worth considering, as
it doesn't interfere with the PD drugs as the opiate-based pain pills do.
Where Peter was in much pain and consequently very depressed 2 days ago, he
has been feeling  minimal discomfort today, and is really a "Happy
Camper"....what a nice change!

Like all the meds, it may not work for everyone, but as it is often hard to
find pain meds for PWPs I wanted to share about it.  Now, if we can just
keep him VERTICAL ....... !

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 82/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

           on the web at  http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/genugten/flinterm.htm
           and also at  http://www.geocities.com/camillahf/index.html

               "Ask me about the CARE list for Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "
           And visit the CARE webring at
http://www.crosswinds.net/~caregivers/index.html