Published Friday, February 2, 2001
Thompson promises organ donation initiative
By LAURA MECKLER / Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON (AP)  --  Tommy Thompson, the new
Health and Human Services secretary, promised
Friday to launch in his first 100 days a
national campaign to increase organ donation.
In his first full day on the job, Thompson also
told his new employees he expects quick work on
patients' rights legislation that can pass
Congress. He suggested the way to prevent HIV,
the virus that causes AIDS, is to look for a
cure and said he will review federal policy
over use of embryonic stem cells for medical
research.
Repeatedly pledging to bring a passionate,
aggressive attitude to issues, Thompson said he
would continue a variety of Clinton
administration efforts, including reducing
racial disparities in health care, discouraging
smoking and improving child support collection.
Thompson, who resigned Thursday as governor of
Wisconsin, was sworn into his new job at HHS
Friday morning.
He called organ donation "an issue that is very
close to my heart" and promised to do more to
recognize families who donate organs of a loved
one. Noting that more than 70,000 people are on
the transplant waiting list, he promised
"a national campaign to raise awareness of
organ donation," though he gave no specifics.
As governor, Thompson aggressively fought the
department's effort to equalize distribution of
donated organs. Under the current system,
organs are given to patients in a local area,
even if a sicker potential recipient is
hospitalized just over the border. Under
President Clinton, HHS tried hard to change
that.
Wisconsin,      where organ donations are high,
has vigorously opposed changes that would move
locally donated organs to other states.
Thompson even sued Health and Human Services,
but the case was dismissed.
In his speech Friday, Thompson only hinted
about possible policy changes.
"What we need to do, instead of taking from one
another, is to grow the number of donors in
America," he said.  "I believe very
passionately about that."
After the speech, he said: "I'm not at this
point in time going to change anything."
He gave no specifics on patients' rights
legislation, which has been debated in Congress
for more than three years,      but he promised
to put the matter at the top of his agenda.
"We will reach out to Congress, and in the next
few weeks sit down and craft a patients' bill
of rights that's going to be able to be passed
in the Congress," he said.
Asked by an HHS worker what he would do to help
prevent the spread of HIV, Thompson would not
say how he might address prevention. Rather, he
said: "The best thing I can and this department
can do is find a cure for HIV."
Researchers believe any hope for a cure is many
years away.
Thompson also said he would review policy on use of stem cells, many of which
come from discarded embryos,      which are being used in research toward a
cure for Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and numerous other diseases. President Bush
has implied that he opposes this sort of research, but Thompson, as governor,
praised as pioneers Wisconsin researchers who co-discovered the vital cells.
Asked about his earlier comments, Thompson said his position may have to
change. "I found out that I'm a cabinet officer now, " he said.
While awaiting confirmation, Thompson was criticized for having close ties to
tobacco companies, but he said Friday he will
work aggressively to discourage smoking. He
suggested that he and Surgeon General David
Satcher travel the country, much like during a
political campaign, to promote a soon-to-come
report on women and smoking.
Thompson also served up plenty of praise for
his new workers. He said they are dedicated,
hardworking and committed and added, to
applause: "I want people to say, 'It's hard to
be humble when you work for the Department of
Health and Human Services." '
On the Net: Department of Health and Human
Services: http://www.hhs.gov/
Copyright 2001 Associated Press. All rights
reserved.
http://www2.startribune.com/stOnLine/cgi-
bin/article?thisStory=83483490