30-Jan-2001 -- EWTN News Brief
BUSH, CHENEY SIGNAL OPPOSITION TO ROE V. WADE, STEM-
CELL RESEARCH
WASHINGTON, DC,  (CWNews.com) - President George
W. Bush said on Friday that he would oppose research using
cells taken from aborted children, which would apparently
include controversial federal funding of researching using
stem cells. Meanwhile, Vice President Dick Cheney on Sunday
said the administration had not abandoned the idea of
overturning the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision.
Bush told reporters last week that he favors stem cell
research using cells taken from adults over inquiry using
cells from aborted children. He added, "I believe we can
find stem cells from fetuses that died a natural death but
I do not support research from aborted fetuses."
When asked if he would sign an executive order banning the
use of federal funds for the research, Bush said, "I will
let you know when I decide all policy decisions."
On Sunday, when asked on NBC's "Meet the Press" if the Bush
administration will not try to overturn the 1973 Roe v. Wade
ruling that legalized abortion, Cheney replied, "I didn't
say that."
"President Bush and I have talked-- both of us strong
supporters of the pro-life position-- and the president's
made it very clear the policy of this administration will
be to try to find ways to reduce the incidence of
abortion," he said.
Bush opposes abortions except in cases of rape, incest, or
to save the life of a pregnant woman, although he supported
a Republican Party platform calling for an absolute ban on
abortion. Cheney said there are other ways to reduce the
number abortions in the United States than overturning Roe
v. Wade, including encouraging abstinence and adoption as
well as making some types of abortions illegal.
"Even if you could not, at this stage, build majority
support for the notion of changing Roe v. Wade, there are
areas out there where I think we can get majority support
for, such as banning partial birth abortions," he said.
"That legislation passed the Congress, was vetoed by
President Clinton. I would hope we could go back and redo
that."
http://www.ewtn.com/vnews/getstory.asp?number=11773