February 1, 12:44 pm Eastern Time
Press Release
SOURCE: Biotechnology Industry Organization
BIO Urges Bush to Continue Moratorium on Cloning Human Beings
WASHINGTON, Feb. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- Following recent
announcements by certain groups of plans to clone human beings, the
Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) today sent a letter to
President George W. Bush urging him to support continuation of the
current voluntary moratorium on these experiments. Contact BIO for a
copy of the letter.

``BIO was among the first to support a moratorium on cloning human
beings in 1997 following announcement of the cloning of the sheep
Dolly,'' said BIO President Carl B. Feldbaum. ``We supported the
moratorium because the specific technology involved in cloning a human
being was unsafe and because the prospect of cloning humans raises
profound moral, religious and bioethical concerns. ``Today the
technology to clone a human being still is not safe and the full range
of moral and ethical concerns still has not been addressed. We believe
the current moratorium on cloning humans should remain until our nation
has had time to fully explore the impact of such cloning.'' Feldbaum
stressed that BIO supports cloning of specific human cells, genes and
other tissues that do not and cannot lead to a cloned human being.
These techniques are integral to biotechnology research and to the
production of breakthrough medicines, diagnostics and vaccines to treat
heart attacks, various cancers, Alzheimer's, diabetes, hepatitis and other
diseases. This type of cloning could also produce replacement skin,
cartilage and bone tissue for burn and accident victims, and result in
ways to regenerate retinal and spinal cord tissue. BIO represents more
than 940 biotechnology companies, academic institutions and state
biotech centers in all 50 U.S. states and 33 other nations. BIO members
are involved in the research and development of health- care,
agricultural, industrial and environmental biotechnology products.