Hello,

I am disappointed that APDA and PDF were not among the 123
organizations signing the recent letter to President Bush, as they
were among the 107 organizations who signed a letter in April 2000
to Senator Spector in support of Christopher Reeve's April 26
testimony to the Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human
Services, Education Appropriations Subcommittee on stem cell
research.  See
http://www.aamc.org/advocacy/corres/research/stmcell3.htm
I hope that APDA and PDF are still members of Patients' CURE, a
coallition of patient organizations for stem cell research, which did
sign.

I hope that the briefing of Bush by scientific organizations takes
place and is effective.

I am encouraged by the statement posted by Perry Cohen that
Senator Spector will remain chairman of his subcommittee and
apparently continue his attempt to pass his stem cell research bill
S.2015.

In addition to contacting President George Bush, our Senators and
Representatives to urge them to support stem cell research and
the NIH Stem Cell Guidelines, we can also

1.  Urge NPF to provide support.

2.  Urge continued support by APDA and PDF.

3.  Watch for any further action on Senator Spector's stem cell bill
and be prepared to support it.

4.  Educate ourselves on the issues.  I suggest the following:

http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/totn/20010131.totn.02.ram
NPR's  Talk of the Nation program"

http://www.dartmouth.edu/artsci/ethics-inst/stemcell.html
The Dartmouth college student science court

http://www.ctns.org/Information/research/Stem_Cell/stem_cell.html
The Stem Cell Debate: Ethical Questions by Lutheran Theologian
Ted Peters.

Stem Cell Therapy: The Ethical Issues. Nuffield Council on
Bioethics.
http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/bioethics/publication/stemcell/rep0
000000299.html

Phil Tompkins