Date sent:              Sun, 4 Feb 2001 16:16:51 -0600
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Sandi Worrel <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Advanced Parkinson's
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> A few weeks ago my father started yelling all the time and repeating
> words.  He would do it in the middle of the night and started getting
> very almost violent.  He refused to take his pills a lot and he has
> lost a lot of weight.  We talked to the doctors and different people
> and finally put him in the hospital to have a "psychiatric evaluation"
> where they will evaluate his medications.

Parkinson's can be associated with psychosis.  Psychotic behavior
can also be caused by Sinemet and other drigs which are used to treat
Parkinson's disease.

It is good that he will have an evaluation in a hospital setting.
Managing this problem is quite complex, as most of the anti-psychotic
drugs tend to worsen the symptoms of Parkinson's.  Good luck.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D.
2500 Milvia Street   Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636  USA
510-849-2555
PLEASE NOTE:  Because of the takeover of IBMNET by
AT&T, my new e-mail address, effective immediately,
is:

The old <ibm.net> address will no longer
function after March 1, 2001.  PLEASE CHANGE
YOUR ADDRESS BOOKS.