Hi Gail,
My father was a farmer and a tradesman (blacksmith, welder, mechanic,
carpenter, telephone lineman, catskinner, miner, blaster, cook) in his
multifaceted lifetime.  Your "Get to / Have to" story reminds me of a
lesson he taught me when I was about 5 years old.   My uncle, the
lawyer, had visited in his new car, new city clothes, and other obvious
signs of affluence and had emphasized to my older siblings and myself
that if we studied and worked hard we too could become lawyers instead
of having to look after cows, 'n goats, 'n ducks, 'n turkeys, 'n chickens
etc.

In my 5 year old innocence I asked my father why he hadn't worked hard
and become a lawyer.  Without a second's thought he said "I don't
HAVE TO milk these cows, slop these hogs, gather these eggs.....  I GET
TO!  Now your uncle... he HAS TO be a lawyer.  Someday you will
understand."

I have had this reinforced by my father's attitude many times over the
years....  I miss him!

So Gail, thank you for reminding me....   murray

I GET TO have Parkinson's....  <it's working>  :-)

*********