Date sent:              Thu, 1 Feb 2001 18:20:00 -0800
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Kakworm Virus.. WAS: Re: mIchael J. Fox Foundation
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Bob Fink and I also avoid a lot of problems by using David Harris's
> well written and time tested Pegasus as our chosen e-mail client
> instead of Microsoft's  Outlook Express.....  (Works for me)

Indeed, this is true.  I also use Norton SystemWorks 2001 (which
contains Norton Anti-Virus which can be purchased separately for
less than $30.00) and, as Murray suggests, have it set to scan each
and every incoming message.  When a virus is present, it stops the
message cold and places the virus "in quarantine".  I can then attempt
to "repair" the virus, or, as is recommended, delete it.

The other requirement is that one *uses* the anti-virus software
properly.  This means going online to the software company's site and
downloading/installing the new virus definitions as they are released.
Norton has a setting (which I use) that does this automatically at
intervals which I specify (I use a weekly program, as suggested by
Murray).

All of this does slow down the downloads a little bit, but it is well
worth it!

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D.
2500 Milvia Street   Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636  USA
510-849-2555
PLEASE NOTE:  Because of the takeover of IBMNET by
AT&T, my new e-mail address, effective immediately,
is:

The old <ibm.net> address will no longer
function after March 1, 2001.  PLEASE CHANGE
YOUR ADDRESS BOOKS.