I am relatively new to the listserv. I am a 56 year old woman with
Parkinsonian characteristics.  I first saw  neurologist about  it in
1996, but the doctor I see now thinks I might have a Parkinson's +
disorder,  I have been  lurking for about two months. Sometimes I have
time to glance at the topics and sometimes I don't have time to read
the messages at all. I notice there has been a discussion of stem cell
research and want to contribute this column that appeared in the San
Diego Union Union Tribune this Friday.

MORTON KONDRACKE /  ROLL CALL

  Cautious move on stem cell research

  February 2, 2001

  Showing gratifying open-mindedness, President Bush has decided not to
order an immediate ban   on federal stem cell and fetal tissue research,
despite his personal qualms and election campaign   assurances to
right-to-life groups.

  Bush's decision is a reversal from indications last week that he might
issue an executive order   banning federal funding of such research.

  According to a senior White House official, Bush "is in no rush to
take action on these issues" and   has forwarded them for study to the
Department of Health and Human Services.

  Bush spokesman Ari Fleischer confirmed to me that "the President wants
the department to   carefully explore the issues" and that "if there is
any executive order, it will follow the HHS   review."

  Bush's decision is an enormous relief to disease victims and
organizations representing them, who   feared that he would issue an
early executive order prohibiting federal funds from going to these
types of research.

  Stem cell and fetal tissue research hold out dramatic hope for curing
maladies including   Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and Lou Gehrig's diseases,
spinal cord injuries, severe burns, cancer,   diabetes, certain forms of
blindness and birth defects.

  I'm biased on this issue because my wife suffers from Parkinson's.

  As late as last Friday, Bush said he did not believe that federal
money should be spent on fetal   tissue or stem cell research "derived
from induced abortions."

  He also indicated that he supported a position advanced by the Roman
Catholic Church -- that the   research potential of so-called "adult
stem cells" was sufficient that the government need not fund   cell
research using material from embryos or aborted fetuses.

  Bush enunciated similar positions during the presidential campaign,
which various White House   spokesmen have since reiterated.

  Exactly what turned Bush around, I don't know. But Fleischer said Bush
"understands the   sensitivities on all sides" and "sees this as a
complex question of ethics and the promise of science"   that requires
further study.

  Officials emphasized that the matter is not settled, but disease
advocates believe that incoming HHS   Secretary Tommy Thompson, though
opposed to abortion, is a supporter of embryonic stem cell   research.
As Wisconsin governor, Thompson resisted state legislation last year to
ban the "sale" of   stem cells, the inner core of days-old embryos that
may be induced to grow into any kind of cell in   the body, but not a
complete human.

  Right-to-life groups oppose stem cell research because it requires
destroying human embryos --   even though those used for the research
have been left behind at fertility clinics and are destined for
destruction.

  Federal law bars government funding of research that requires
destroying human embryos, but the   Clinton administration ruled that
grantees could work on stem cells so long as federal money was   not
actually used to remove them from embryos. This ruling could be
overturned by executive order   -- much as President Clinton in 1993
reversed an order of Bush's father barring federal funding of   research
using tissue from aborted fetuses.

  Sens. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., and Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, are about to
reintroduce a bill that would   allow federal funds to be used to derive
stem cells from embryos and also set out legal guidelines to   ensure
that embryos are not mass produced for research.

  As The Washington Post reported last Friday, the possibility also
exists that Bush could ban   federal funding of fetal tissue research,
currently worth $20 million, because a 1993 law only   applied to
transplantation experiments, not other research. Bush indicated last
week that he thought   research could proceed using tissue from
miscarriages, but the White House's latest statements   mean that this
issue will also be sent to HHS for study.

  Politically, Bush's actions will come as a disappointment to
conservative activists, but Bush   previously fulfilled promises to them
by reinstituting his father's ban on federal funding of groups   that
counsel abortion overseas. Bush also may have wanted to avoid a
distracting fight with disease   groups. Or the truth may be as simple
as White House officials explain it: Bush sees this as a   morally
difficult and complex subject.

  Bush received a letter from former Sen. Connie Mack, R-Fla., an
opponent of abortion rights,   urging him to permit stem cell research
and another one from 123 scientific, academic and disease   groups. That
letter pointed out that potential benefits from "adult" stem cells,
which are derived   from the blood and marrow of live humans, should not
preclude research on embryonic stem cells.

  To me, it's obvious that the true "pro-life" side of this argument is
to save lives using cells from   microscopic frozen embryos that are
destined for destruction anyway. Bush deserves credit for not
stubbornly sticking to a campaign position and for being willing to
consider an alternative point of   view. Disease victims appreciate that
kind of compassionate conservatism.