this is not a fictional story--
it is the extremely sad truth.

Would you work for $0,93/ hour??

Unfortunately, the drama continues...
my PCA 's(personal care attendants) are
now going to get paid only $0.93
per hour- or $8.50 for the nine hour
shift from 10 PMto 7AM, by the State.

 IAM SO ANGRY!   the new policy is that we
patients  have to pay out-of-pocket co-payments,
which I cannot afftord, and, dig into our own wupply
of money from our SSDI checks to get money per hour
from our own resouroces, or we are transaferring our
daytime hours of help to the night shift.
GREAT, huh??

This past evening, I was RESCUED from being alone in a
severe snowstorm all night, after asking
the tel. operator at "0" for help for THREE
hours .when the POLICE changed their minds and
delivered my friend Jeff to help me at 11:30 PM.

The scheduled PCA called me from a
bar at 7 PM to say he was drinking.

Mollie Baldwin, nurse and social worker, at her job at the  Maine
BEAS (Bureau of Elder and Adult Services bureaucracy)
 for 10 1/2 years, I am told ,has now been revealed to be BOTH the
the rulemaker who is LOWERING personal care
attendants' night shfit pay for 280 consumers like me
 to $8.50 per shift (about $0.93 per hour) for 10 PM to 7 PM, AND is
also the needs assessor who cut my eligibilty from 13 to 5
hours per day of help.on October23, 2000.

THese policies , NOT my state of health, make it impossible for
me to stay home safely.

NOW WHAT DO I DO, FELLOW PWP 's and OTHER FRIENDS??
THOSE PERSONS WHO HAVE ALREADY SENT MONEY OR
OTHERWISE SHOWN  INTEREST IN HELPING
ME WEATHER THIS STORM  are reminded to PLEASE,
if you will, contact me OFF-list.  I will NOT answer ONLIST
requests or accept ONLIST contrib utions.
Otherwise, I wouldl be in the hospital again trying
to buy more nights in a bed

After all this, I have NO caregivers for the
next three nights-So i feel disillusioned
about the concept that America is the
land of free enterprise and free speech...where the democracy
works. No, it doesNOT if you are disabled....poor, and exhausted.

Ivan
*