Linda Herman wrote:

>At a special event held at the National Institutes of Health on January
>4, more than 150 principal  investigators from nine institutes-the first
>gathering of its type -heard NINDS Director Gerald D.  Fischbach, M.D.,
>and Steven Hyman, M.D., director of NIMH, describe their vision of a new
>intellectual  framework for joint efforts in neuroscience research. The
>new National Neuroscience Research Center, which will be built on the NIH
>campus in Bethesda, Maryland, will support that vision through shared,
>flexible space, easy traffic flow,and ample areas for interaction among
>scientists and with the public, architect Rafael Vinoly explained. US
>Representative John Edward Porter attended the event and  reflected on his
>longstanding interest in promoting collaboration among NIH Institutes and
>his conviction that NIH must always strive to inform the public about its
>research efforts and advances. The building will be named in honor of
>Porter."

This good news only underlines the loss that Neuroscience in general and PD in
particular will endure when Dr. Fischbach leaves as Director of NINDS. Under the
leadership of Dr. Fischbach and Dr Hyman of NIMH more collaboration is already
taking place. There is currently a Neuroscience Center in rented space in
Rockville MD which houses staff of NINDS, NIMH and others. The new building on
the NIH campus, which was being planned when we first started working with Dr.
Fischbach two years ago, will go further to break down artificial
"institutional" distinctions in brain science.

In a meeting with top staff of NIMH a couple of months ago, Dr. Hyman cited that
Depression in PD was one of those issues that fell between the cracks of
Neurology and Mental Health.  The point was made clear by findings from the
Global Parkinson's Survey of EPDA (depression is the major factor in quality of
life for PWP), findings from the Movement Disorder Society's "evidence based
review" of PD (almost no high quality research on PD and depression), and the
tragic suicide of a young PD advocate just prior to the PAN forum last summer.

I am pleased to report that the NIH is responding to the message. Last week I
attended a research planning work group with about 20 scientists and clinicians
sponsored by NINDS, NIMH, and NIA on "Depression and PD".  Recommendations from
the group will help NIH target research funds for basic science and clinical
trials for this important but under investigated aspect of PD.

I am also participating in a "aging and medical co-morbidity" work group which
is part of a larger strategic planning effort of NIMH on Depression and Bipolar
Disorder Research.  The work groups are meeting in Pittsburgh on March 24-25 and
there is a public event "Breaking Through: Why Treatment of Mood Disorders is
Important to Health" scheduled for March 26 (also Pittsburgh).

Years of advocacy are paying off in much needed new research. Dr. Hyman said we
were among the most effective health lobbies in Washington. The NIH Parkinson's
Research Agenda sets the plan and the FY 2001 Appropriations Conference Report
designates the funds. Senior Researchers who have worked in related fields (e.g.
Alzheimers, Depression/Heart Disease) are ready to apply their skills and
knowledge to PD.

Yet for all of us with PD the clock keeps ticking and the medications don't work
as well. This research is years away from benefiting those of us living with PD
now. I believe we should turn some of our attention to and urge our
organizations and government to devote some of the resources to speed up new
treatments in the pipeline and improve access to and quality of what is already
available.

Perry Cohen
Washington DC