Memory Lane.

Come stroll with me down memory lane,
Your life will never more be the same.
Remember when you were young and so agile,
Forget the now forget that you are fragile.
As a child you could not wait,
Christmas. Birthdays came always so late.
Time seemed to go slower in the good old days,
Over the years you have altered your ways.
Think back to your first day at school,
Excitement in the classroom and your very own stool.
Sitting at your desk listening to Teachers voice,
You would sooner be playing; this is not of your choice.
A swim in the river with kids of your age,
Not in a classroom it was just a cage.
The cinema was then all the rage,
The first cigarette you were under age.
Then the first date that you remember so well,
A first shy kiss your parents you did not tell.
The school dance you ask what shall I wear,
In those days about your appearance you did care.
Schooldays left behind you your very first job,
Your sweetheart has left you; time for a sob.
A new romance serious this time.
You hear Church bells ringing what a lovely chime.
Marriage then children doesn't time go fast?
Dwell on the good thoughts they will not last.
Now dwell on the thrills and joys in your life,
The memories pour through some cut like a knife.
It has been pleasant this trip down memory lane,
When you are up to it we can do it again.

© Bernard Shaw

http://members.chello.at/bernard.shaw/poetry.html

http://www.postpoems.com/members/bern/