Hi Lanier and all free-'Net geeks!

        In a recent edition of the digest, the following appeared:

> Date:    Thu, 8 Feb 2001 19:08:40 -0500
> From:    plmaddux <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: The Bottom Line / pc virus land
>
> You are talking about all the free anti-virus software etc....that is
> available, how about free Internet, are you paying for your ISP?
> As you can see from my addr I am using NETZERO. as in ZERO cost for their
> Internet service. It has been working fine for me for about two years  now.

        I  travel  *a lot* for a living and have, for the last year or
     so, depended on services such as these.  I have found NetZero  to
     be one of the most dependable of these services.

        However,  many  of  them  are  in trouble as several have been
     bought out or went out of business in recent months.  In fact,  I
     got  a note from the "powers that be" at NetZero saying that If I
     used over 40 hours a month again ( :-) ), they would be  charging
     me  a  fee.   So, it is a free service as long as you stay within
     their limits.

        I think Juno and NetZero may be the only two of these types of
     business that stay in business.  AltaVista, WorldSpy,  Freewwweb,
     and  FreeInternet  (among  others) are some of the recent casual-
     ties.   K-Mart is in the business but they limit their  users  to
     25  hours  per month.  Freelane (Excite) also put a monthly limit
     on their users.

        I  have  heard  that Classmates.com is going to provide such a
     service among many new features soon.

        I  hope  that  someone continues in the business ... I want to
     continue to be able to surf and read e-mail in the hotels I  stay
     in during the evening after class ...

        Does anybody know if AOL makes their connection via PPP?

        Sorry  for  the off-topicness ... it was just a subject that I
     find myself currently involved with on a personal basis.  Back to
     your regularly scheduled Parkinson's chat ...

Bill--
  ...who asks: Daylight savings time: Why is it saved & where do they keep it?
                                                                (42?)
.. William A. Parrette ...... 7177 Heritage Drive ....+- |  | -- o ------+
.. [log in to unmask] .............. Westchester ............|   \/    o   Y    |
.. [log in to unmask] ......... OH 45069-4012 ..........|   |  /!-!\  |    |
.. [log in to unmask] ..... 513/779-0780 ...........|    \|     |/     |
                                                           / /   \ \