Most epileptics going untreated, WHO says

GENEVA (February 12, 2001 1:34 p.m. EST http://www.nandotimes.com) - As
many as 80 percent of epileptics, mostly in the developing world where the
stigma associated with the condition is greatest, are suffering without
treatment that could let them lead normal lives, the World Health
Organization said Monday.

About eight of every 1,000 people worldwide have epilepsy, WHO said. About
75 percent could avoid symptoms with a simple and relatively inexpensive
drug regimen.

But based on worldwide demand for the drugs, WHO found the amount of
medicine being produced could treat only about 20 percent of the world's
epileptics - leaving 80 percent without treatment.

"Still too many people suffering from epilepsy are stigmatized and
discriminated against, and still too many people with epilepsy are not
receiving treatment," said Benedetto Saraceno, the agency's director of
mental health.

The U.N. health agency announced a pilot project in four developing
countries - China, Argentina, Senegal and Zimbabwe - to train doctors and
health workers in the diagnosis and treatment of epilepsy.

The four-year, $4.6 million project will survey the number of people with
epilepsy and look for ways to treat them.

"We are aiming to demonstrate that epilepsy care can be provided even in
areas with no resources," said Ley Sanders, scientific coordinator of the
project, which also involves two international epilepsy organizations.

The program could have an added economic benefit, he added: Many untreated
epileptics are unable to work, and providing care for them is a burden for
some countries.

Epilepsy is a neurological disorder with symptoms ranging from minor lapses
of attention to severe and prolonged convulsions and loss of consciousness.

Many cases are caused by an underlying brain disease or injury, but
children often develop the condition with no obvious cause. An estimated
2.3 million Americans suffer from the condition.

In some developing countries, people with epilepsy are believed to be
possessed by the devil. In others, epileptics are not allowed to join
communal activities because the condition is believed to be infectious.

Parents often object to their children marrying epileptics; a British law
that banned epileptics from marrying was revoked in 1970.

Carol D'Souza, of the Indian Epilepsy Association, said she felt compelled
to hide her illness when she was diagnosed at 11.

"I was told to keep it a secret, a secret which I didn't share even with my
closest friends," she said. "I had a number of jobs as a secretary but I
never mentioned that I had epilepsy. I was lucky and was never found out."

By NAOMI KOPPEL, Associated Press

Copyright 2001 Nando Media
http://www.nandotimes.com/noframes/story/0,2107,500309187-500496651-50348504
6-0,00.html

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype parkie
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 SMAIL: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/