Date sent:              Sun, 11 Feb 2001 09:15:11 -0500
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   E S <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Chiari malformation and PD?
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Therefore, people who have little or no herniation of the cerebellar
> tonsils on MRI are told the scans are normal. In fact, there are now
> many people with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome being
> diagnosed with Chiari (as well as cervical spinal stenosis) because of
> the new findings. Who's to say other CNS disorders are not candidates?
>
> The main problem is that there are very few docs who know to properly
> diagnose it when there is no tonsillar herniation - as I said, this is
> the sole criteria that has been used for the diagnosis of Chiari - the
> few "experts" know that this is only one criteria and is not even
> required.

The current "popularity" of surgery for Chiari malformation is highly
controversial.  Most mainstream neurosurgical authorities believe
(including me) that it is an unproven and perhaps even pecuniary
approach (lots of money for doing the operation, which is a serious
one).  "Fibromyalgia" and "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" are not
recognized as true "diseases" by many, and an association with Chiari
malformations is highly suspect.

The incidence of Chiari malformation (especially Type I which is the
least severe) has increased significantly over the last 15 years or so.
This is due to one factor and one factor only; and that is the use of
MRI to diagnose other conditions (such as brain tumors, and cervical
spine disease).  The finding of Chiari I malformation is almost always
an incidental finding and usually is of no clinical significance.

Significant Chiari malformation (requiring surgery) has, as its symptom
complex, a combination of intermittent (often postural) headache,
cerebellar dysfunction (balance and coordination problems; *not*
tremor or rigidity); motor weakness in the upper extremities;
abnormalities in eye movements; and hydrocephalus (obstruction of
the spinal fluid).  The operations done for true, symptomatic Chiari
malformations include posterior fossa craniotomy and decompression
of the skull and upper cervical spine; release of any "tethering" which
may exist involving the spinal cord, draining of any cysts (called
"syringomyelia") in the spinal cord, many of which can extend all the
way down the spine into the low back; and, when hydrocephalus is
present, a shunt is often necessary.

True Chiari malformation is a life-threatening problem.  Surgery for
Chiari under these conditions carries a significant mortality.

Caveat emptor.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D.
2500 Milvia Street   Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636  USA
510-849-2555
PLEASE NOTE:  Because of the takeover of IBMNET by
AT&T, my new e-mail address, effective immediately,
is:

The old <ibm.net> address will no longer
function after March 1, 2001.  PLEASE CHANGE
YOUR ADDRESS BOOKS.