on 2/8/01 9:29, Ally Deale at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I had a question. Recently, after much prompting with his neuro, my
> father's carb/leva dosage was upped to 25/100 three times a day. (Is that
> 75/300?) Anyway, since then, he and my mother (my mother moreso) complains
> that he is constantly drowsy. He'll take his dosage and then have to nap
> for about an hour or so. Is it normal for Sinemet to cause this much
> drowsiness and is there something he can do to counter it?
>
> Thanks, list friends! I don't know what I'd do without all of you and your
> experience!

Ally-
I have had PD for 18 years and can tell you that fatigue comes with the
territory of the disease.  My husband used to become upset with me because I
could fall asleep while he was talking to me; I couldn't help it.  Once he
exclaimed, "It's as if you're on drugs!!" and I replied, "Dear, I AM on
drugs."  Sinemet can cause drowsiness, and likewise it can keep you awake at
night.   PD interrupts normal functioning in the "sleep center" of your
brain.  My best answer to daytime naps is getting a good night's sleep.  I
am "addicted" to Ambien 10 mg.  I have taken it for several years at bedtime
with no ill side effects.  I can get 5-8 hours of continuous sleep with it.
Without it, I can manage no more than 45 minutes at a time.  How does your
dad sleep at night?

I remember going to a conference for PWP and a common complaint of
caretakers was that their spouse would fall asleep on them.  We looked
around the room and at least 50% of the PDers were asleep!!  Arms crossed,
chins on chest, and definitely sleeping.

I've also noticed when I would take part in some clinical tests for new
medications, the center set each person up in their own room, complete with
recliners, and we'd seem to take naps at the same time!
It must be more inherent with the disease than with the medications or
Sinemet.

I am 48, on SSDI now, and can manage my schedule much better than when I was
working and experiencing extreme sleep deprivation.  I have also had DBS
(deep brain surgery) and have bilateral STN implants.  That has improved
many of my symptoms, so my sleep isn't disturbed from problems such as
inability to roll over, waking up and tremoring, and not being able to fall
back asleep, etc.

I don't drive during my "regular" sleepy times.  (Bet a lot of us could tell
horror stories about falling asleep at the wheel - I can!!)  I take naps if
I'm tired, and it's nice not to worry about it bothering anyone; I'm home
alone during the day.  Now if I could just keep my phone and/or doorbell
from ringing!  Also, physical exertion and stress depletes the body of
dopamine, so for me, even trips to visit friends or day trips out of town to
shop or eat, holidays, taking a walk, etc.,  can leave me tired later on -
sometimes for a day or two afterwards.  I can be "up" around friends, but my
family knows I'll be wiped out when everyone says goodbye.

Exercise is also good for stimulation and will help decrease the need to
nap.  It may require a little extra sinemet (not CR) since it gets used up.
I take a regular (not CR) 25/100 just before I do an hour's strenuous
workout (lifting weights, for example).  That's a personal thing to work
out, especially if dyskinesia is a problem.  My neurologist or his nurse is
always available for phone conferencing.  It's a win/win or a lose/lose
situation.  (The more sedentary you are, the sedentary you want to be).

I'd recommend letting your dad take his nap, and be sure he is comfy!

Sorry to be lengthy, but this is one topic I can really relate to!  Good
luck to you and your family!  Bless your hearts!
Carole