Hi there Roseanne

I'm the director of the film about Tim Lawrence and his experience with
Ecstasy. No, Tim has no speech difficulty o taking E makes no difference in
that respect.

Tim's main problem is pretty severe dyskinesias, which the Ecstasy seems to
smooth out.

You all may like to know, btw, that although both myself and Tim were
interviewed by NBC - and the story has been shown here and on the news in
Australia and New Zealand - it seems the American networks don't think US
citizens are able to cope with such controversial information. NBC pulled
the report at the last minute because they were worried about the response.

I have spent a year researching the story and the scientists who are looking
at Tim, and can corroborate his claim, are top Parkinson's experts (one of
them, Prof Alan Crossman, discovered the role of the sub-thalamic nucleus in
PD). Ecstasy works via serotonin, a neurotransmitter not normally associated
with movement and only previously linked to PD in respect of depression.
That Tim has been brave enough to tell the story of how it helps him will,
they say, lead to a new treatment for PD - particularly dyskinesias.

We would all hate anyone to go out and experiment with Ecstasy as a result
of Tim's story (Tim himself only uses the drug occasionally, recreationally,
because it isn't a drug one could take safely every day and he doesn't like
the side effects) but I don;t think that means the information should be
censored.

If anyone wants further info, they could try the links from the programme
(Horizon: Ecstasy + Agony) which they will find on the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon

Jemima