hi all

At 18:48 2001/02/19 -0800, Murray Charters wrote, in part:
>BROADVIEW HOUSE FIRE KILLS HUSBAND AND WIFE
>By Vanessa Gezari
>Tribune Staff Writer
>February 19, 2001
>... On Sunday morning, Arthur Kuettler, 82, and his
>80-year-old wife collapsed in their living room as they
>tried to get out of the house when a fire started in
>their basement, firefighters said. Relatives say Arthur
>Kuettler, a retired engineer, was trying to help his wife,
>who had Parkinson's disease and had trouble moving. ...
>the Kuettlers died ...

murray,

you've been reading my mind!

this sad story jumped out at me
two people lost their lives tragically
and possibly needlessly...

and i live alone...

my off periods have become really really OFF
and can appear almost instantaneously:
i can barely turn over in bed,
i cannot write, i cannot type,
i cannot do up my shoelaces,
i can shuffle maybe one step per 30 seconds max
and if i am at all emotional, i slow down even more!

viz:
a couple of weeks ago
when i put the kettle on to boil to make coffee
i got on the computer, forgot about the kettle,
and it boiled dry...

this could have been calamitous,
since i could not smell the burning odour

i managed to shuffle over to the stove
to turn off the red hot burner, but my oh my
it took a long time to get there!
and my heart was in my mouth the whole time!

strangely enough,
the apartment i live in was renovated completely two years ago
due to a fire in the building next door where a young couple died.

what is the answer to this potential danger for parkies?

a wheelchair?
i maybe could manage one when i'm 'off', if it were electric,
but then i'd have to be living in a wheel chair accessible apartment,
which this one isn't.

this aspect of my habitat is coming to the fore
since i am in the midst of discussing my requirements
with the local municipal and county home care support folks

janet

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype parkie
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 SMAIL: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/