hi all

At 09:34 2001/02/20 -0600, Joan Snyder wrote:
>janet, that is an terribly improtant question that you have
>raised and i have yet to see it at issue anywhere. it certainly
>seems to me something we should all be concerned about...even
>tho my life is filled with family & friends and a loving spouse
>...there are the times when i get them all outta the house and
>sit back and the thought never occured to me that at that moment
>i am certainly more at risk than any other time.but as my falls
>& bangs & bruises get more pronounced-now i know that i must
>think about what was unthinkable. i think that this subject
>requires our attention and it requires it now...

i sometimes wonder if
pd's "on" again "off" again phenomenon in us oldish-timers
has something to do with possible denial of the real dangers
resulting in the sort of thinking:
"the 'off' me is not the 'real' me - so there's no real problem..."
?

>and a bit about the driving...i'm only 49 years old-that's alot
>of soul searching for someone who has been brought up with the
>idea firmly implanted that "it's not just your car-it's your
>freedom." i decieded last year that i will only drive during
>the daylight hours in my little town, no more driving jaunts
>to the big city. and i only drive when i feel up to it-it's
>just another part of learning to cope and learning patience-to
>sit back & enjoy the ride rather than be the driver. when we
>had to take away my dad's keys because of his advancing alzheimer's,
>i prayed that i would be more reasonable when it came my turn...
>only now can i understand how helpless that it must have made
>him feel.

i wonder if there is a cultural divide here?
the expression "it's not just your car - it's your freedom"
means nothing to me - it sounds like a car ad - where does it come from?

heck,
freedom to me can be as simple as
walking down the street whistling a happy tune!
(which would be a miracle in itself, since i can barely whistle!)

car ownership is a privilege and a burden
in NYC for example it is a heavy and expensive burden
far less expense and aggravation to walk or take buses or taxis

more food for thought...

janet

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype parkie
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 SMAIL: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/