Hello everyone.  I'm 54 years old and was diagnosed with Parkinson's about
four months ago.  I imagine I've had it at least a couple of years.  Really
noticeable symptoms started occurring about a year ago.  I'm probably asking
the impossible, but I'd like you to help me make a decision regarding
retirement.  Do you think I will be able to work for another five years?
How long typically does it take before someone with Parkinson's gets to the
point where they do not feel comfortable going to work and being around
other people?   If I retire on disability, my retirement check will be
considerably higher.  But I can't retire on disability unless my doctor
completes a form stating that my condition is such that I am unable to do my
job.  I have a manager's job that doesn't require much physical exertion.

Under a special program just passed by the state legislature, I can retire
now (based on number of years worked) but continue to work for up to five
years while my retirement check is placed in an escrow account.  It's a
great opportunity that I would like to take advantage of because I would
still receive my regular monthly salary also.  But once I sign the form, the
amount of my retirement check is locked in.  If I become disabled one year
from now, I could not then retire on disability because I would already be
"retired."  I would have to quit my job and just receive my regular
retirement check, which would be much less than if I had retired on
disability.  My doctor says that I will be in better shape in 20 years than
I am now.  I'm sure he is just trying to be optimistic.  From what I've
read, some people with Parkinson's start having considerable difficulty
after only a few years.  The medication has helped some of my symptoms but
I'm still experiencing rigidity in my left leg.  The medication works for
about three hours, but wears off  about an hour before my next pills are
due.

I realize Parkinson's is very different from one person to the next, and
that there is really no way to predict how quickly my condition will
progress.  But any insight you can provide would be appreciated.

Cecil Barnes