hi all

in re the conference mentioned by john cottingham,
i did a search on the bbc news site
and found 30 articles about news from said conference,
(the annual meeting of the
American Association for the Advancement of Science),
only one of which mentioned parkinson's
(which news item i have just posted)

below is the 'introductory article' about the conference

i wonder if the genome story overshadowed others?

janet

America celebrates science

Friday, 16 February, 2001, 09:15 GMT - One of the largest scientific
conferences in the world has opened in San Francisco, US.

The annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of
Science (AAAS) is widely regarded as the most prestigious expo of its kind.

About 3,000 researchers from every part of the globe will be attending the
hundreds of talks and lectures scheduled over the next five days. About
1,000 journalists are here to file news copy on the event.

Topics for discussion include the human exploration of space and the use of
technology to help feed the world's rapidly growing population. But much of
the debate is bound to centre on the international project to decode the
human genome.

This week saw the historic publication of the first analysis of the human
"book of life" in the journals Nature and Science, and the revelation that
we have little more than 30,000 genes.

One of the organisers of the 2001 AAAS expo, Michael Spinella, said a
primary aim of the conference was to allow scientists from all over the
world to meet and exchange ideas.

"What's interesting and unique about the AAAS is its diversity," she told
the BBC. "It really covers every area of science. We've got top-level
scientists from every discipline and it's interesting for them to meet up
and consult with each other."

Two of the key figures in the genome story, Dr Craig Venter, who led the
private effort to decode our DNA sequence, and Dr Francis Collins, who led
the public effort, are both giving keynote speeches.

They have previously said that, in the coming decades, our greater
knowledge of our genetic make-up will increase our chances of beating
diseases such as cancer.

Related links:
British Association Festival of Science 2000 (BBC)
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)

By John Duce in San Francisco BBC News Online: In Depth: San Francisco
http://news.bbc.co.uk/low/english/in_depth/sci_tech/2001/san_francisco/newsi
d_1172000/1172712.stm

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype parkie
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 SMAIL: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/