>I'm gearing up for a bilateral DBS implant and wondered if any of you DBSers
>had the Medtronic Kinetra neurostimulator installed. The Kinetra is a two
>channel, patient adjustable unit in contrast to the Itrel II and Itrel III,
>both of which are single channel units, nonpatient adjustable and patient
>adjustable respectively. I would truly appreciate any input you might have.
>
>Thank you very much.
>
>Peace...   David

David, that is an early model of the neurostimulator they are using now.
The first neurostimulators had two programmable settings, allowing the
programmer to use different parameters. The user switched to the other
program when they deemed it necessary.

After implantation a lower voltage is needed to reduce the side-effects but
after the brain swelling subsides, a higher voltage profile is possible.
After the initial programming, the programmer can anticipate
(theoretically) your requirements and program the second channel so that
when the effects of the first program wane, you can yourself switch to the
second program.

Current production of the neurostimulators have only one channel so more
frequent trips to the programmer will be necessary.

In my study group we have both kinds of neurostimulators but as the two
channel devices fail, they will be replaced with one channel devices. It
isn't a simple replace the batteries senario when they fail, replacement
devices have to meet the stringent FDA guidelines any drug or device has to
meet. Medtronics has said that it is unlikely recycled neurostimulators
will ever be used.

                   Online Subscription help available by MSN Messenger
                  [log in to unmask] or ICQ 2376159
John Cottingham