Tuesday, February 13, 2001
5:09 a.m. CT
Bush, Gore receive honors
The Associated Press
ABILENE (AP) - During the closest presidential election in history,
candidates George W. Bush and Al Gore conducted themselves with
civility normally absent in political campaigns, a two-man civility patrol
says.
"Campaigns will bring out animosity, but they did their best not to get
personal," said Glen Dromgoole. Dromgoole and Alan Gibson are known
as Americans for More Civility. "I thought their conduct was pretty
positive," Dromgoole said.
The men awarded "Civies" to Bush, Gore, their running mates Dick
Cheney and Joseph Lieberman as well as actors Michael J. Fox and
Harrison Ford and Olympic sprinter Marion Jones.
The civility patrol lauded Cheney and Lieberman for a debate that
focused on issues and not partisan politics.
They praised Fox for his work to help find a cure for Parkinson's disease,
Ford for refusing any credit after his helicopter rescue of a stranded
mountain climber and Jones, the first woman track and field athlete to
win five medals at one Olympics, for remaining humble in the midst of
her success.
Dromgoole and Gibson handed out "Un-Civies" last year, but elected
not to do so this year. Last year's "Un-Civie" award-winner was former
Indiana coach Bobby Knight.
"There are some people you could give them to every year," Dromgoole
said. "I just felt it called attention to the wrong things. We were afraid it
might take away from what we're trying to do."
Dromgoole, a former editor of the Abilene Reporter-News, said he and
Gibson, a writer from Jasper, Ga., are trying to discourage foul behavior.
"This is not so much to recognize celebrities, but to call attention to
worthwhile behavior," he said. "We want to make sure we cite their
actions, not their celebrity. These are people who make a difference by
promoting civility in their everyday lives."

http://www.amarillonet.com/stories/021301/tex_bushgore.shtml