Boxing: Mitri death moves Italy
Source: AFP|Published: Friday February 16, 6:36 AM
MILAN, Italy, Feb 15:

The lonely death of one of Italy's most famous boxers has fuelled efforts
by the Italian state to provide welfare for former pugilists who have
fallen on hard times.

On Wednesday the Italian Senate backed a law that would provide state
money for former boxers of an international standing living in poverty.
The law provides for a monthly sum of between 3.5 million and five
million lira ($A3,000$A4,400) for a former fighter over the age of 65 who
won major international titles and is enduring financial hardship.

That bill was passed the day before today's funeral of one of Italy's most
revered fighters, Tiberio Mitri, who died Monday at the age of 74 in
poverty and in ill health.

Mitri's funeral provided the platform for many former Italian boxers to
vent their anger at their treatment.

Giovanni Censi, who represented Italy in the 1968 Olympics in Mexico
City, said: "I have a face full of punches, I boxed for a living and I have
nothing left ... boxing is dying and we are dying with it and the (boxing)
federation is doing nothing."

Another former boxer, Domenico Adinolfi, a former European light
heavyweight champion, slammed the presence at the funeral of
politicians and Boxing Federation chiefs who in his view had not done
anything to help Mitri, nicknamed 'Tiger of Trieste'.

"Mitri was abandoned by pratically everyone," he said. "Now they have
all come just to be seen."

Former European middleweight champion Mitri, once beaten on points
by the legendary ItalianAmerican Jake 'Raging Bull' La Motta in a
15round world title bout in New York, was remembered in his funeral
service, three days after wandering on to rail tracks and being run over
by a train. He will be buried in Trieste on Tuesday.

Mitri suffered from Parkinson's and Alzheimer's Diseases and both
illnesses were so advanced that he frequently lost his way and often
asked why his son who died in the 1970s no longer visited him.

He earned many film roles in the 1950s and 1960s and a failed marriage to
a former Miss Italy but spent his twilight years in Rome's working class
Trastevere district.

Many fighters have died or been seriously injured in the ring but many
who retire in reasonable health experience health difficulties in later
years, often brainrelated.

Legendary American former world heavyweight champion Muhammad
Ali, who suffers from advanced Parkinson's Disease, is perhaps the most
famous example of a former fighter in ill health although the cause
cannot be definitively attributed to his ring experiences.

The day after Mitri was killed France's former WBA world
supermiddleweight champion Christophe Tiozzo was in a Geneva court
to attend the trial of a Brazilian financier who allegedly ruined him.

http://www.theage.com.au/breaking/0102/16/A22594-2001Feb16.shtml