Hi All,
As a child, I suffered from dyslexia and only the diligence of my mother
and sister and "intensive reading" drills brought me to read and write
and see things "normally".  Thus I find this NEWS very interesting.

It confirms what my mother instinctively "knew" in 1947....

All the best ............ murray

************************
Friday, 16 February, 2001, 10:14 GMT
Brain scan aid to dyslexics

By Corinne Podger in San Francisco
Brain scans could revolutionise the diagnosis and treatment of the
common reading disorder dyslexia.

With brain imaging, we're able to get a clearer picture of what the areas
are in the brain that might be impaired in dyslexia
Dr Guinevere Eden

Researchers at the Georgetown University Medical Center in
Washington say the technology could help develop better techniques
for screening very young children - even those who have yet to pick up
their first book.
The team used the scans to show how people with dyslexia have a much
lower level of activity in one part of the brain compared with people who
do not suffer from the condition.
This led to the discovery that another part of the brain was "plastic" and
could be taught to compensate for the other region's weakness through
a programme of intense reading training.
Language tasks
Dyslexia affects up to one in six people.  Individuals with the disorder
have trouble associating written words and letters with the sounds they
represent.
Although dyslexia can be treated with intensive reading therapy,
individuals respond differently to the several types of therapy now on
offer.  But matching the right therapy to a particular individual has been
difficult because scientists have had so little information about what
exactly is going on in the brains of dyslexics as they perform language
tasks.
Dr Guinevere Eden and Dr Thomas Zeffiro gave people with dyslexia a
brain scan before and after an intensive language skills course. The
second scan showed dramatic increases in brain activity in areas
associated with language.
Dr Eden said the study demonstrated how the technology could help
identify and treat people with dyslexia much earlier.
Targeted intervention
She told the BBC: "It helps us in that we might be able to identify those
who are at risk and be able to provide them with earlier intervention.
And with brain imaging, we're able to get a clearer picture of what the
areas are in the brain that might be impaired in dyslexia.
"We could save them a lot of grief by targeting the intervention early
and very intensively, so that they, at the very beginning, have a better
chance of overcoming those reading problems."
Drs Eden and Zeffiro stressed that it would be impractical to offer scans
to large numbers of children.  Instead, they said the technology would
help improve the assessment programmes already in use that are
designed to identify potential dyslexics.
They envisioned only a limited number of children with very severe
problems being offered scans.
The researchers discussed their work at the annual meeting of the
American Association for the Advancement of Science.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/in_depth/sci_tech/2001/san_francisco/
newsid_1173000/1173020.stm