On 18 Feb 2001, at 12:20, sylvia berger wrote:

> > I have some pretty intense feelings and opinions on driving while
> > "impaired" and, whether any one else cares to admit it, we are all
> > somewhat "impaired" when it comes to driving and Parkinson's. At some
> > point one has to admit that their driving skills need to be evaluated
> > and then responsibly adopt to that evaluation.
> >
> Hi Murray, I agree but, having ridden with an 82yr old driver, I'd
> include all seniors. By the way did you know that it is possible, at
> least in Sask. to get a driving licence which is very restrictive? My
> son had one which limited him to rural roads within 4 km of the farm if
> he was driving alone, and numbered highways *only* if his father was
> with him.  The fact that his dad slept while Phil drove seemed to worry
> only me. The special needs examiner came out to the farm to test him and
> was not a bit concerned about his cognitive skills - just whether he
> could physically drive. The fact that he would be unable to react
> appropriately in emergency situations was of no concern. My point is
> that an evaluation of driving skills should include an evaluation of
> problem solving and other cognitive skills *as well as* reaction times
> etc. Like you, I have restricted my driving to short trips around
> town,in daylight and only on non-snow-covered (hard to find here at this
> time of year) roads. And yes, Murray, your posts are read and
> appreciated. Be well, Sylvia

Hi Sylvia,
I knew there were restricted licences re: farming but did not really know
anything about them.

In most provinces, people are required to report any changes in their
medical status to the Provincial Ministry of Transportation. Some medical
conditions may affect your ability to operate a motor vehicle and can
produce a potentially dangerous situation, both for you and the general
public. When you report a change in your medical status to the Provincial
Ministry of Transportation, the ministry may conduct a medical review,
and may allow you to retain your driving privileges with restrictions.

Failure to report a change in your medical status may put your driver's
licence status in jeopardy.

http://www.gmcanada.com/english/special/mobility/abt_mobilmore.html

In Ontario... Sleep disorders ... medical reporting ...
http://www.snore.com/infosleep.htm

MADD - Rating the provinces (note the "medical condition reporting")
http://www.madd.ca/library/prov2000/page7.htm

BC Motor Vehicle Act
Report of psychologist, optometrist and medical practitioner
230     Every legally qualified and registered psychologist, optometrist
and medical practitioner must report to the superintendent the name,
address and medical condition of a patient 16 years of age or over who
(a)     in the opinion of the psychologist, optometrist or medical
practitioner has a medical condition that makes it dangerous to the
patient or to the public for the patient to drive a motor vehicle, and
(b)     continues to drive a motor vehicle after being warned of the danger
by the psychologist, optometrist or medical practitioner.

http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/bcstats/96318%5F04.htm

Determining Medical Fitness to Drive
A Guide for Physicians  -  6th. Edition
Approved by the CMA Board of Directors, May 2000
http://www.cma.ca/catalog/drivers.htm
http://www.cma.ca/catalog/driversguide/index.htm

The Drivers Medical Examination
http://bacs.med.ucalgary.ca/oemweb/drivetutorial2000.html

Medically Fit
http://www.icbc.com/Library/recovery/volume10/Number3/articles/medically.html

Here is a web site discussing Assessment of Older Drivers in Oz....
http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/roadsafety/papers/licence_assessment_program_for_older_drivers.html

Sylvia, I hope this background information is useful in your
support group meeting....

All the best .......... murray