On 19 Feb 2001, at 22:12, janet paterson wrote:

> hi all
>
> At 18:48 2001/02/19 -0800, Murray Charters wrote, in part:
> >BROADVIEW HOUSE FIRE KILLS HUSBAND AND WIFE
> >By Vanessa Gezari
> >Tribune Staff Writer
> >February 19, 2001
> >... On Sunday morning, Arthur Kuettler, 82, and his
> >80-year-old wife collapsed in their living room as they
> >tried to get out of the house when a fire started in
> >their basement, firefighters said. Relatives say Arthur
> >Kuettler, a retired engineer, was trying to help his wife,
> >who had Parkinson's disease and had trouble moving. ...
> >the Kuettlers died ...
>

> murray,
>
> you've been reading my mind!
>
> this sad story jumped out at me
> two people lost their lives tragically
> and possibly needlessly...

Yes, this story touched me too.. and reminded me of the time my
grandfather came within an ant's eyelash of burning the farm when I was
a kid....

> and i live alone...
>
> my off periods have become really really OFF
> and can appear almost instantaneously:
> i can barely turn over in bed,
> i cannot write, i cannot type,
> i cannot do up my shoelaces,
> i can shuffle maybe one step per 30 seconds max
> and if i am at all emotional, i slow down even more!
>
> viz:
> a couple of weeks ago
> when i put the kettle on to boil to make coffee
> i got on the computer, forgot about the kettle,
> and it boiled dry...

HHhhhmmmmmmm..... When we needed a new kettle about 4 years ago,
we bought the kind that is like a pitcher.  The lid lifts off making it easy
to fill.  This kettle sits in a base that is plugged in to the electrical outlet.
It has a transparent "view thingeee" on the side graduated in litres so
you can see how much water is in it. The base has a switch you depress
to turn it on to boil and when the water boils the switch snaps up and
turns it off.  It shuts off immediately on overtemp if there is no water.
The pitcher part has a big handle that makes this kettle easy to pour
from and quite simply, really nice to use compared to a standard stove
top tea kettle.  The cord stays with the base making the kettle cord free
when you lift it off the base. It is made by Proctor Silex and I think it was
about $25.00 while I think an ordinary tea kettle might be $15 - $20...

We were thinking of ease of use and not burning anyone with scalding
water but the safety shutoff is a feature I'm growing to like in light of this
exchange of information.

> this could have been calamitous,
> since i could not smell the burning odour
>
> i managed to shuffle over to the stove
> to turn off the red hot burner, but my oh my
> it took a long time to get there!
> and my heart was in my mouth the whole time!

I burned a pot once, several years ago, and it did seem like slo motion to
get it all under control even tho it took seconds....

> strangely enough,
> the apartment i live in was renovated completely two years ago
> due to a fire in the building next door where a young couple died.
>
> what is the answer to this potential danger for parkies?
>
> a wheelchair?
> i maybe could manage one when i'm 'off', if it were electric,
> but then i'd have to be living in a wheel chair accessible apartment,
> which this one isn't.
>
> this aspect of my habitat is coming to the fore
> since i am in the midst of discussing my requirements
> with the local municipal and county home care support folks
>

> janet

Keep well Janet, and look after yerself.....

All the best, murray