Wednesday, 14 February, 2001, 17:16 GMT
Ecstasy 'relieves Parkinson's Disease'

Tim Lawrence says ecstasy has helped him

Tim Lawrence has found a drug that is far more effective at controlling
the symptoms of his Parkinson's Disease than any prescribed by a
doctor.

The only problem is that it is Ecstasy, the illegal and dangerous
stimulant much favoured by night-club ravers.

His discovery could overturn 30 years of medical thought, and
eventually lead to a new treatment for Parkinson's.

However, some scientists fear the short term effect might be outweighed
by longer term severe damage to his health.

Tim used to be a film stuntman performing feats of physical bravery.

It is illegal, but there is not really a punishment out there that could
match what I go through on a day to day basis - Tim Lawrence

Now he spends much of his day either unable to move at all, or
twitching uncontrollably.

Tim suffers from young-onset Parkinson's Disease, a rare form of an
illness that usually hits the elderly.

The condition is slowly freezing up his body.

Side effects
Tim can perform gymnastic feats while on ecstasy

Like many people who contract the illness early in life, Tim suffers just
as badly from the drug he takes to combat the disease.

The drug, L-DOPA helps to unlock his frozen limbs, but it also gives him
wild, flailing movements called dyskinesias.

L-DOPA replaces the vital brain chemical called dopamine that is in
short supply in Parkinson's patients.

The drug is highly effective at first, but within a few years side effects
begin to appear.

These are particularly severe in those who get Parkinson's early - of
whom there are 8,000 in the UK alone.

However, until now scientists have failed to come up with an effective
alternative for L-DOPA, or any treatment to moderate its effects.

Chance discovery
Tim used to have a daredevil lifestyle

Tim made the discovery about Ecstasy completely by chance. He had
taken the drug while on a night-club visit with friends.

He said: "I was just suddenly aware that everything was completely
smooth, as though I never had the disease in the first place."

The drug appears to tame his body and give him back control over his
limbs.

Within two hours of taking an Ecstasy tablet, Tim is able to do backflips,
somersaults and swallow-dives in a gym.

He said: "We take risks every day of our lives. It is illegal, but there is
not really a punishment out there that could match what I go through on
a day to day basis."

Despite the positive effects he derives from Ecstasy, Tim only takes the
drug a couple of times a month - usually when he is out clubbing.

"I would not want to feel like that all day every day. It is an unreal state."

Dangers of the drug
There are serious health risks associated with taking Ecstasy.

It is rarely fatal, but it can cause memory black outs and depression.
Research also suggests it might be particularly damaging to people with
Parkinson's.

There just may be in his experience a clue - a vital clue - that is going to
help us find a way forward - Mary Baker, Parkinson's Disease Society

The challenge for scientists is to find a drug that will replicate the effect
of Ecstasy with none of the attendant dangers.

Professor David Brooks, of Hammersmith Hospital, said Tim's discovery
was fascinating.

He is particularly intrigued because Ecstasy appears to have no impact
on dopamine levels. It does, however, trigger the release of massive
amounts of another brain chemical, serotonin.

High levels of serotonin stimulate a feeling of euphoria, but it had not
been thought to have any impact on movement.

Yet tests carried out by Professor Brooks show that Ecstasy alone is
enough to unfreeze Tim's limbs - in fact dopamine appears to play no
part in the process at all.

Mary Baker, of the Parkinson's Disease Society, said: "The society has
to say that it absolutely cannot condone in any way the taking of an
illegal substance.

"But the society has a moral obligation to ensure that some research
follows Tim's experience because there just may be in his experience a
clue - a vital clue - that is going to help us find a way forward in the
better management of Parkinson's Disease."

Tim's story is told in BBC television's Horizon programme broadcast on
Thursday 15 February at 2100 GMT.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_1169000/1169980.stm