hello gail and list:

Gail Vass wrote:

> "McKay and Isacson said researchers are almost ready to test the
> technique in humans, but social and political issues must be resolved
> before that step can be taken in the United States. "
>
> "At the same time, McKay said it may happen soon in Britain, France or
> the Netherlands, as those countries are adopting policies to advance
> embryonic stem cell research. "
>
> So my question is , Are those with Parkinson's, considering going to the
> cure if it is discovered and available in Europe first?

I am newly (2 yr) diagnosed and hope to survive long enough
to receive a curative treatment right here in the U S of A

some of us may have to have DBS first--while waiting

there may be altenatives to stem cell implants--
but, that is not the subject now
possibly these will happen some where else first also

my sister is a medical doctor
small town doctor/family practice
and has said she would help me make a trip to Europe
if that is what it takes to beat PD
--we were talking about stem cell bans here in the US
and the uptightness researchers have had
about using fetal cells since the '80s
--(it is a long story about my lab director/boss back then)

actually, it would be a mighty expensive trip/stay
and a mighty expensive operation
if it required neuro-surgery
without insurance.
Get ready to stand in line with the Euro Parkies and
pay cash up front.

I don't like this idea
(survival of the richest)
(Economic Darwinism)
(so what is new?).

with a million of us (parkinsonians) here,
it seems that demand should be for treatment right here.

Sign that petition.

Take action now.

> Are Parkinson groups looking into assisting their members in going where
> people could receive the treatment as soon as it is available...which
> could be years before it is available in the US?

only the groups could answer that :)

> Just wonderin,

just hopin,
ray