Hi All,
We've talked about this before, but with bills coming in and costs going
up, maybe someone hasn't heard this and could benefit.... murray

February 17, 2001
Free Prescription Drugs
KVBC -TV | Las Vegas, Nevada
Beth   Fisher - REPORTING
Delinda   Higinbotham - PRODUCER

It's a matter of life and death. Millions of Americans must choose
between   buying food or the prescription drugs they need everyday.

Medicare doesn't   help with prescription drugs, and not everyone
qualifies for Medicaid.

There is a resource available that some are considering a secret hiding
place for free drugs.

You could call it a best kept secret. Many drug companies give away
their   products free of charge to people who can't afford to pay for them.

Some people in Las Vegas are taking advantage of the program getting
their prescriptions for free!

Morton Drexler's medicine cabinet it packed with pills, now he's worried
about how he's going to pay for all of them.

"I can't afford this," said Drexler, referring to the   high cost of his
prescription drugs. "It's ridiculous."

Just this year, Drexler's cost increased to $45 per prescription.

"I don't want these prescriptions," said Drexler, "But the doctor say,
'Look, if you want to live, you have to take it.'"

George Dixon is in the same boat.

"I have high blood pressure," said Dixon. "I'm a diabetic."

He was spending $400 earch month on pills until he found out about
something called "The Medicine Program."

George Dixon tried it and got free prescription drugs.

"They sent me the papers," said Dixon. "I took them to the doctor, he
filled them out, sent them in and they sent me the medication back to his
office."

In order to qualify, most patients cannot be covered by private or
government insurance and find it a hardship to pay retail drug prices.

If a patient qualifies, he can get brand name medicines for most any
medical need you can think of and they're available for only $5 per
medication.

If you take very many prescription drugs, you know how expensive they
can be and five bucks is nothing at all, but did you know you can
actually get   them for free?

Beth Metzger didn't have to pay a single cent for her pills.

"They gave me a 6 month supply," said Metzger, "and that helped save
me."

A Pharma directory helped her find a prescription drug patient
assistance program that gave her a $1,000 in free medication.

"Bristol Myers sent me an assistance fund program," said Metzger.
They said all the pharmaceutical compaines have programs to help
people who can't afford their prescriptions and the free drugs kept
Metzger from losing her home.

"It really is the best kept secret," said Metzger, "and it shouldn't be a
secret because there's help out there."

We found more than 50 companies that have patient assistance
programs.   Eli Lilly, for example, says every drug it makes is eligible to
be given away.   This year alone, drug companies will give away
almost $1-billion worth of   prescription drugs to 2,000,000 Americans.

If you'd like to get a copy of the Pharma Directory, the best way is to call
Senator Reid's office at 388-5020. That's 388-5020. You can get ahold of
the Medicine Program call them at 573-996-7300 or log-on to their web
site:

http://www.themedicineprogram.com

http://www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=231109&nav=15Mc