I would like to thank all those people who sent messages as a result of my enquiry last Tuesday. It has been very helpful. My personal view is that I understand and appreciate the need to test drivers for safety reasons. I agree that those whose condition makes them dangerous should not be permitted to drive. The difficulty that I suspect we all have is that it is easier to identify the other person who is unsafe than to see it in oneself.

My concern is that those who make the licence decisions should not do so arbitrarily, which is what led to my question about the nature of the tests. I would hope that the rules for people with Parkinsons are not different from the rules for everyone else.